LED street lighting is a technology that continues to evolve and develop and the way we light roadways today could be very different than a decade from now. The LED lighting industry is evolving very rapidly, and manufacturers are constantly improving and updating LED street light luminaires. So compare with the common luminaires for HPS and metal halide street light, there is no standard replacements for LED street light luminaires. Manufacturers are continually developing new designs, as they attempt to optimize LED configurations, optics, driver electronics, housings, and controls. One manufacturer’s replacement for a 100 Watt HPS luminaire may look significantly different than another manufacturer’s model. Because design modifications are being implemented so rapidly, a luminaire from a single manufacturer may change over the course of a year.
What is the different between the common street light luminaires and LED street light luminaires?
- Energy saving. One of the most touted benefits of LED street lighting is their lower energy use compared to standard street lighting technologies such as HPS. In most applications, LED street lights do save energy.
- Long life spam. A well designed LED street luminaire should have a longer useful life than a HPS or metal halide lamp. Not like HID luminaires, an LED luminaire is made up of many components, and these components are made of LED chips. These chips have a very long life span. Normally good quality LED street light luminaires can provide five years warranty.
- Reduce maintenance costs. Because good LED luminaires have a much longer life than HPS or metal halide lamps, they have the potential to lower maintenance costs.
- Different correlated color temperature. HPS lamps produce light with a CCT of around 2,000 Kelvin, while the most efficient LED luminaires produce light with a CCT of 4,000 K or higher. HPS light is yellow orange, while LED light is bright white to bluish-white.
- High Color Rendering Index. HPS lamps have a very poor CRI of around 22Ra, but most LED street light luminaires can reach to 70Ra.
So Moving to LED street lighting make sense.